Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Crafting 3D User Interfaces for the Web


I had a talk a little while ago at local frontend dev event called Webshaped. My talk was about how to craft easy to use, tangible 3D UIs. This is one of the dearest topics to me, and I think I overdid the presentation a bit. It kinda became a mash-up between a game design talk and UI talk for kinda designers and sorta programmers (or developers as web folks like to call them).

I think I will redo the presentation at some point in the future if such an opportunity presents itself. Maybe more focused on some of the sub topics, or more maybe with interactive things to try out etc.

I have not talked much about Tinkercad on my blog so far. A lot of the interesting stuff about Tinkercad does not quite fit the voice of this blog, but I think I'll write a thing or two about it.

For those who don't know, Tinkercad is super easy to use 3D modeling tool for makers, artist and tinkerers alike. It works directly in your browser. Under the hood Tinkercad is a solid modeler, which means that all the stuff you make with Tinkercad can be 3D printed.

Here's something we did just recently, an embeddable viewer for your projects. The project shown below is a plan of our deck with summer furniture and some gardening stuff.


2 comments: