I made a quick velocity obstacle prototype last night. Above is video shows of some example scenarios.
I used similar velocity sampling and side bias in HRVO. It is cool how some test cases result almost symmetrical results. The last bit in the video uses more random start locations and parameters which makes the movement more random too.
I'll release the sources once I get it a bit more cleaned up.
In order to get smooth results, the prototype clamps the max acceleration (which is the reason why the agents sometimes collide) and also slightly smooths out the perceived velocity which is used to calculate the VOs.
The test cases do not exhibit too much flickering in the velocity selection, but I think it is a problem. I will do a couple of other protos to see if there could be simple way to make more coherent velocity selection with some simple extra logic.